Auburn, MA – The piezo movement and air cushion specialist PI (Physik Instrumente) introduces a new one high-strength piezo linear motor actuators for ultra-high vacuum environments and application in a strong magnetic field. The new N-331.24U PICMAWalk precision linear actuator is based on the patented piezo actuator technology and the patented piezo footing principle.
Image Credit: PI (Physical Instruments) LP
Features of the PICMAWalk V8 Linear Piezo Motor
- Suitable for vacuum up to 10-9 hPa
- 55mm travel
- 4nm sensor resolution
- Sub-nm actuator resolution
- driving force 50N
- 60N power-off holding force
- Max speed 10mm/s
- Rugged V8 piezo linear motor with PICMA® piezo stack elements for extreme durability
- The fastest and most powerful piezo linear drive in its size class
- Precise nanometer precision positioning for loads up to 5kg
- Plug-and-play, thanks to the PI’s proprietary controller
N-331 High Force UVH Piezo Linear Motor Application
- Precision motion drive in a strong magnetic field and in a high vacuum
- Semiconductor test and manufacturing technology
- Waffle inspection
- R&D related to physics
PI The PICMAWalk piezo linear motor uses a unique V-shaped arrangement of eight PICMA® piezo actuators, resembling a classic V8 engine, to deliver exceptional push/pull and hold forces, combined with nanometer precision. The space-proven PICMA® actuators are known for their outstanding reliability, offering 50N (11lbs) push/pull force and 60N (13lbs) dead holding force. The UHV-compatible linear motors achieve a maximum speed of 10mm/s (0.4in/s), and can accurately position loads up to 5kg (11lbs) with nanometer-level precision.
In contrast to classical electromagnetic actuators, piezo motor actuators offer the advantage of not creating a magnetic field and are not affected by magnetic or electric fields. These characteristics make it highly suitable for a wide range of applications, from e-beam lithography to MRI technology. In industrial settings where precise positioning of optics, detectors, or cameras is required, removing power to the actuators can be beneficial after the delicate positioning process is complete. With a power-off position hold performance of 60N, the N-331 actuator’s self-clamping design provides a decisive advantage.